Emory Buddhist Club - New Year Celebrations coming up

Hsu, Emory emory.hsu at emory.edu
Thu Apr 10 13:51:46 PDT 2014

Hello everyone! In the Theravada Buddhist countries (Sri Lanka, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Burma/Myanmar, and small portions of India), the New Year is celebrated based on the Buddhist calendar, and is April 14th of each year. This year is 2557 since the birth of Sakyamuni Buddha, whose birthday is coming up later in May.

In celebration of Southeast Asian New Year, street festivals and food carnivals will be held at the following temples on the following dates (supposedly Wat Lao Photisaram has a large one). If anyone needs a ride or can drive, let me know and I can try to help coordinate. Hope to see you tonight at 6pm in Cannon Chapel for our last Chinese Zen meditation session with nun Jiansou shifu from Dharma Jewel!

Songkran (Thai New Year):
Wat Buddhabucha, 4/13
3094 Rainbow Drive, Decatur GA 30034
Dhammakaya Temple
4522 Tilly Mill Rd, Atlanta GA  30075

Aluth Avurudda (Sri Lankan New Year):
Georgia Buddhist Vihara, 4/12 at 10am
3153 Miller Road, Lithonia, GA 30038

Pii Mai (Lao New Year):
Wat Lao Buddhamoongcoon     4/12 - 4/13 8am-8pm
2325 Hillside Road, Riverdale, GA 30296
Wat Lao Buddha Khanti     4/20 - 4/21
4052 Zoar Church Rd, Lithonia GA 30058
Wat Lao Buddha Phothisaram    5/10 - 5/11
4433 E Conley Rd, Conley, GA 30288
Wat Lao Buddha Sattha Dhamma    5/17
241 Buchannan Rd, Alto, GA 30510
Wat Lao Buddharam Khambouneheuan    4/5 - 4/6

136 Hamby Mtn Pk Dr, Baldwin GA 30511

Chaul Chnam Thmey (Cambodian New Year):
Wat Khmer Georgia
6533 Rock Springs Rd, Lithonia GA 30058
Wat Tammarangsey
7025 Bryce Rd, Riverdale 30296
Cambodian Atlanta Buddhist Temple
3798 S Rockbridge Rd, Stone Mtn GA 30087
Wat Triratanaram
5330 Riverdale Rd, College Park GA 30349

Thingyan (Burmese New Year)
Ratana Viman Monastery: 7271 Asbury Dr, Lithonia GA 30058