Emory Buddhist Club - Thursday 6pm in Cannon Chapel 106!

Hsu, Emory emory.hsu at emory.edu
Wed Sep 10 18:19:21 PDT 2014

Reminder: Emory Buddhist Club this Thursday, September 11, at 6pm in Cannon Chapel room 106
Teacher: Geshe Dadul (his first time with Emory Buddhist Club this semester!)
All are welcome! Free snacks afterwards.

-----
Last week, Venerable Jiansou, abbess of Dharma Jewel Monastery, continued her discussion on discovering truth. The first week she talked about conventional (ordinary) truth, which are all relative and conditional (for example, dependent on our cultural and historical points of view) and limited by our sensory perceptions (for example, we can only see in just a small portion of wavelengths, and a flower looks different to each person, not to mention to a bee!). This second week she talked about another level of truth, absolute truth. Absolute truth means looking at an object closely - what is its real intrinsic nature? With a microscope, it looks far different, and looking even more finely beyond molecules and atoms, we end up with just wave-forms. We used an example of a tea bag  - we might think the tea bag is an independent entity, but when we examine it, it cannot exist without tea plants, farmers, fertilizer, soil, sunlight, trucks to bring it to the store, gasoline to power the trucks, water, water treatment plants, etc... and it will end up recycled as urine, wrapper trash, etc. Even a simple tea bag is not intrinsically independent, but has this emptiness. It depends on conditions and causes in order to exist. In this way, we are all connected, and what we do can affect others which in turn can affect ourselves, which is why we should have compassion for other people, animals, the environment, etc. The highest level of truth, the Middle Way, is "neither... nor", for example, seeing things as neither real nor empty... but that will be next semester!

----
PS: Special 3 day Vipassana Meditation retreat, 9/19-9/21 with visiting monk Bhante Khippapanno, at Kim Cang Monastery, translated in English and Vietnamese, contact me for more info.