Emory Buddhist Club - Last meeting of the semester!

Hsu, Emory emory.hsu at emory.edu
Thu Apr 30 03:44:13 PDT 2015

Weekly Meditation - end of semester

Thursday April 30 at 6pm
Cannon Chapel room 106, Main Campus

Emory Buddhist Club: Our last meeting for the semester! Given the stress of exams, we will have an open sit (no teacher) tonight from 6 - 6:40pm, followed by tea and end-of-semester social. You are welcome to do quiet stretches, yoga, exercises, sitting meditation, walking meditation, or anything that helps you de-stress (without disturbing others) and calm your mind.

Good luck on finals! If you are free, there are free meditation retreats this weekend at some of the temples for those that are interested, see below. Stay tuned to our emails or subscribe to our Google Calendar for events during Maymester and summer!
 [cid:9ce993da-25a4-47b4-8c9d-d4e9549f9e3a]
A few off-campus events around town - need more info or a ride? Email me!

  *   One day Vipassana Meditation practice, Saturday May 2, 9am - 6pm, at Kim Cang Monastery, in English and Vietnamese. During this time, there will be guided meditation, practices of sitting and walking meditation, listening to Dharma talk, personal interviews (optional) with Bhante KhippaPanno and Dharma discussion. A vegetarian lunch will be provided at no charge, all events are free.
  *   Half-day meditation retreat, Sunday May 3, 9:30am – 12:30pm, at Dharma Jewel Monastery. Only open to those who have previously attended class or session, please register with the temple. Free.
  *   Reducing Suffering through Buddhist Psychology - a 10 week teaching and discussion session with Geshe Ngawang Phende at Drepung Loseling Monastery will be on Thursdays 7:30 - 9 pm, May 7 - July 9. Class is $75, please register through the temple: http://www.drepung.org/Changing/Changingmenu/Study-Group-2015.htm http://www.drepung.org/Changing/Changingmenu/Study-Group-2015.htm
  *   the newest Buddhist temple in the Atlanta area had its grand opening last week, Sovannkiri Buddhist Temple in Snellville with two Cambodian monks to serve the Khmer community
  *   Vesak (Buddha's Birthday and Enlightenment day holiday) events are coming up, the earliest is May 3 at Wat Lao Buddha Moongcoon, with lots more to come in May and June

Buddhist Global Relief has donated $10,000 to organizations on the ground for disaster relief in Nepal (the modern day place where Shakyamuni Buddha was born), and is hosting a Jazz Concert to Feed the Hungry to raise even more funds to help, this Thursday April 30 in New York City – if you have any friends in NYC, be sure to share the event through Buddhist Global Relief’s website, Facebook page, or Twitter!

 For more events, subscribe to our Google-Calendar on our website, BuddhistClub.org