Emory Buddhist Club - End-Of-Year Study Break, and Thank Yous!

Hsu, Emory emory.hsu at emory.edu
Tue Dec 8 09:19:54 EST 2015

Thursday Dec 10, 6pm
Emory Buddhist Club
Study Break: Chai and Homemade Cookies
Cannon Chapel Basement (room 106)

This week is our End-Of-Year celebration! We would like to thank all of YOU for helping make this year our most active year ever, as perhaps the largest student-run university Buddhist club in the country! Did you know, this year we set many firsts?
-- Hosted guided meditation led by experienced teachers 48 times on Thursdays, plus twice at Oxford (that's almost every single week of the year other than Thanksgiving and Winter Breaks)!
-- Officially chartered as an Emory University student organization
-- A record of over 1,000 people on our email list
-- Started a Facebook page
-- First ever Chinese-language Buddhist study group
All of this could not have happened without your support, so come out for some snacks and take a break from studying for finals! Chai and home-made cookies... We may also meditate if people would like to. (Our teacher from last week, nun Dong Hue, is leading a meditation retreat this Saturday if you are interested, see below for more events.) Drop by Cannon Chapel basement between 6 and 7:30pm on 12/10!

[cid:738e3c05-e47a-48bd-b7b8-acfd48cea595]

Our room is also available on Monday mornings from 8 - 9am for self-guided meditation and a brief prayer service (recitation of Shurangama Mantra, Great Compassion Mantra, Heart Sutra, and Three Refuges).

We would also like to thank all of our 2015 volunteer teachers and guests - we are very fortunate indeed to have so many practitioners spanning a wide variety of Buddhist traditions! We receive no monetary support from Emory University, so all of our teachers come out of the goodness in their heart. Instead of financial compensation, we thank them with sincere practice and meditation!

Sangha / Monastics
Bhikkhu:
Bhante Wajirabuddhi, Georgia Buddhist Vihara
Geshe Phende, Drepung Loseling Monastery
Geshe Dadul, Emory-Tibet Partnership and Drepung Loseling Monastery
Ven. Thich Tinh Hanh, Chua Tu Quang
Ven. Sunyananda, United Buddhist Church
Bhante Saddhasara Thero, Mahamevnawa Monastery
Ven. Thich Tam Bi, Dharma Seal Abbey
Bhikkhuni:
Ven. Jian Sou, Dharma Jewel Monastery
Ven. Nguyen Tue, Boulder Park Meditation Center
Ven. Shi Hong Yan, Pu Xian Temple
Ven. Dong Hue, Kim Cang Monastery
Lay Teachers
Geshe Lobsang Tenzin Negi, Emory-Tibet Partnership and Drepung Loseling Monastery
Sensei Michael Elliston, Atlanta Soto Zen Center
Mr. Bill Florian, Emory Cognitively Based Compassion Training
Ms. Bee Intakanok, Georgia Meditation Circle

Our core volunteers:
Fall 2015 Executive Board
Sasicha Manupipatpong '17
Marianne Florian MTS’14, Ph.D.’19
Aakash Raj '16
Micaela McCall '18
Emory Hsu, M.D.
Adviser: Bill Florian, Emory Cognitively-Based Compassion Training (CBCT)
Faculty Sponsor: Tsepak Rigzin, Emory College of Arts and Sciences - Middle Eastern and South Asian Studies
Monastic Liaison: Geshe Dadul, Emory-Tibet Partnership

Special Thanks to:
Cannon Chapel: Sara McKlin and Emory Office of Spiritual and Religious Life
Recorded Talks and Dedication of Merit: Chung Tai Zen Center; Dharma Realm Buddhist University
Movie Screenings: Commonfolk Films (VOWS and ALMS); Tribe of Heart (Peaceable Kingdom)
Donors of Food: DaVinci Pizza Decatur; Emory Hsu; Marianne & Bill Florian
Donors of Books: Emory Hsu; Buddhist Text Translation Society; Amitabha Buddhist Society
and all those supporters who may not be listed above, thank you!

Also, most of our books that we give away were purchased with personal funds from Amazon / Barnes and Noble, but we would like to thank Buddhist Text Translation Society (www.BTTSOnline.org), Buddha's Light Publishing (www.BLPUSA.com), and Amitabha Buddhist Society (www.AMTB.org / www.AMTBWeb.org) for their generous donations of some of the materials.
Here are just some of the Venerable monks and nuns that have Buddhist teachings published in English, some with introductory works, and others of deeper sutra commentaries, if you wish to read more. (I have arranged them by their primary practice tradition, though of course these boundaries are human constructs.)
Theravada:
Bhikkhu Bodhi, Bhante Henepola Gunaratana, Ajahn Chah, K Sri Dhammananda, Ajahn Sumedho, Walpola Rahula, Sayadaw U Silananda, Mahasi Sayadaw, etc
Tibetan:
HH the Dalai Lama (Tenzin Gyatso), HH the Karmapa (Ogyen Trinley Dorje), Matthieu Ricard, Thubten Chodron, Khenpo Rinpoche, Khenchen Palden Sherab Rinpoche, Jamyang Khyentse, etc
Mahayana:
Chin Kung, Cheng Yen, Guo Jun, Heng Sure, Hsing Yun, Hsuan Hua, Hsu Yun, Sheng Yen, Wei Chueh, Yin-Shun, Thich Nhat Hanh, etc

Community and Other Events
All are welcome for these free events. Do you need more details or a ride? Let us know!
- The Tibetan monks of Drepung Loseling Monastery (India) will create the Avalokiteshvara compassion sand mandala, open to public viewing, at Unity North Church in Marietta Georgia, December 13 to December 20.
- "Opening the Heart: Arousing the Mind of Universal Kindness" - a general talk by the Tibetan monks of Drepung Loseling (India) at Unity North Church, Wednesday 12/16 at 7:30pm
- Meditation and fundamentals of Buddhism course, a free 11-week class in English with both guided meditation practice and lecture/discussion, will begin on Tuesdays 1/5 at 6:30 - 8:30pm at Dharma Jewel Monastery
- Vipassana Meditation Retreat, Mindfulness Meditation Society, Saturday 12/12 9am - 6pm, at Kim Cang Monastery. Beginners and experienced practitioners welcome, partial attendance permitted, free vegetarian lunch provided.