Emory Buddhist Club - reminder we are off-campus tonight

Hsu, Emory emory.hsu at emory.edu
Thu May 21 06:20:59 PDT 2015

Field Trip tonight!

Thursday May 21, depart campus 5:15pm
To Drepung Loseling Monastery (off-campus)

Emory Buddhist Club: Reminder - we will NOT meet on campus today. However, Marianne Florian will lead a field trip to the Compassion Meditation at the nearby Drepung Loseling Monastery. If you would like a ride, please one of us.

We will meet back on campus next week 5/28, though the time will be earlier at 5:30pm!

[cid:d5942f1e-8f10-498c-9976-97a3c08f7559]

Happy (almost 3000th) Birthday Buddha! The Buddha doesn't want people to merely pour scented, blessed water over a statue. Every year, on Buddha's birthday, this bathing ritual is performed with reverence and a purified mind to remind people that "it's easy to wash away physical dirt, but much more difficult to cleanse one's inner impurity, greed, anger, and ignorance. Only a pure and focused mind reaches enlightenment." In the Buddha’s Birthday Celebration Ceremony, we are inspired and encouraged to reflect on the meaning of our own birth and death, and to truly get to know the Buddha waiting to be born in each of us.

Weekend Cultural Events:
•         Buddha’s Birthday Ceremony – all are welcome, no charge. Sunday May 24, starts 9:15am, free vegetarian lunch at noon. Dharma Jewel Monastery, 2550 Henderson Mill Rd NE, Atlanta GA 30345
•         Buddha’s Birthday Ceremony – in Vietnamese, at various Vietnamese Buddhist temples and venues around town (Norcross, Lawrenceville, Snellville, etc) this weekend