Emory Buddhist Club - Guided Meditation and Movie on Thursday; Monday morning meditation; VegFest Saturday, and more!

Hsu, Emory emory.hsu at emory.edu
Tue Nov 3 09:58:02 EST 2015

Emory Buddhist Club
 Thursday November 5,  6 pm
Monday November 9,  8:15am
Meditation in Cannon Chapel Basement (room 106)

Thursday Meditation:
Our leader this week is Sensei Michael Elliston from Atlanta Soto Zen Center.
Please join us for guided meditation, discussion, and tea.
Everyone is welcome 11/5 @ 6pm in Cannon Chapel basement!

Thursday Movie: 11/5 @ 7:30pm (after meditation) "VOWS" Enjoy this half-hour documentary film which looks at the intense discipline and liberating rigors of monastic ordination from the unique aspect of Mahayana Buddhism. Filmed at Bailin Chan Monastery in China.  Optional discussion afterwards. (Trailer at www.Commonfolkfilms.org)

Monday Recitation: New! Start your week right. Every Monday morning from 8:15am - 8:45am, beginning on Monday November 9, we will host a morning service. The morning and evening daily recitations form a cornerstone for many lay practitioners at home, and are fairly standard at Mahayana monasteries across the world. We will use an abbreviated version of the liturgy chanted at the City of Ten Thousand Buddhas in California:  We begin with invocation, then recite the Shurangama Mantra, then the Great Compassion Mantra, then ten small mantras, then the Heart Sutra, then pay respect to the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, and conclude with the Three Refuges. Optional meditation time before and afterwards.
11/9 @ 8:15am - Morning Recitation (in English, or in Chinese or Vietnamese upon participant request)
8:35 am - Silent Recitation (Meditation or Self-Reflection)

Community and Other Events
* Atlanta VegFest 2015!
The annual Atlanta VegFest is this Saturday, November 7, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Easley Conference Pavilion at Atlanta Metropolitan State College. Let's check it out! www.AtlantaVegFest.com Need a ride? Let us know!

* Public Buddhist Talks Tuesdays
You may remember Geshe Dadul Namgyal and Geshe Ngawang Phende as teachers we were honored to host earlier this semester - a reminder they are leading the free Tuesday night lectures at Drepung Loseling Monastery on topics such as "How to Meditate".  See details at www.Drepung.org

* Peace of Mind
Emory School of Medicine would like to invite you to Introduction to Meditation, Wednesdays, 12:15-12:45pm, in B03 Williams SOM building. Based on cognitively based compassion training (CBCT), the free sessions are guided by a certified CBCT instructor. Also, Room B03 is reserved daily from noon-1 p.m. as a quiet place for anyone to meditate.

*  Buddhism Courses 2016:
Save the dates! Dharma Jewel Monastery's next Buddhism and meditation course for newcomers in English will begin on January 5 and will be weekly for twelve Tuesdays from 6:30 - 8:30pm. Register now at www.DharmaJewel.US