Emory Buddhist Club - Thanksgiving break - Five Contemplations

Hsu, Emory emory.hsu at emory.edu
Mon Nov 23 09:02:04 EST 2015

Emory Buddhist Club - No Meeting This Week

Happy Thanksgiving! We will not have our weekly Thursday guided meditation this week on 11/26. We will resume on December 3. Our room in Cannon Chapel basement is still available on Mondays from 8am - 9am for anyone who wishes to do meditation or prayers by themselves.

As you eat Thanksgiving meal, it is good to keep in mind the Five Contemplations that are often recited by Buddhists before a meal:

This offering is the fruit of many's work and care;
Reflecting on my conduct, "Am I worthy of a share?"
Be wary of the poisons, the foremost being greed;
Seeing food as medicine, I take only what I need,
Solely for cultivation, to realize the Buddha Way.
With gratitude I accept this offering today.
(version from Dharma Jewel Monastery / Chung Tai Chan Monastery)

An adapted version for laypeople:
This food is a gift of the earth, the sky, numerous living beings and much hard work.
May we eat with mindfulness and gratitude so as to be worthy to receive it.
May we recognize and transform our unwholesome mental formations, especially our greed, and learn to eat with moderation.
May we keep our compassion alive by eating in such a way that we reduce the suffering of living beings, preserve our planet and reverse the process of global warming.
We accept this food so that we may nurture our brotherhood and sisterhood and nourish our ideal of serving all beings.
(from Magnolia Grove Monastery / Plum Village)

We encourage you to continue to practice some form of meditation for at least ten minutes a day every day at home. Practice is important -- reading about how to swim does not make up for actually getting wet! See you in December!
Community and Other Events
 Please contact us for more details about any of these programs, or for events in other languages. Do you need a ride? Let us know!
- 亞 特 蘭 大 佛 學 社 感恩節共修 時間:星期四 11/26 10am - 2pm;  特別共修: 星期日 11/29 10am - 2pm;  6117 Oakbrook Pkwy, Norcross GA 30093
- Thanksgiving Thrice-Yearning Ceremony (Chanting Meditation Retreat), 11/27 - 11/29 at Pure Land Association of Atlanta 2015年亞特蘭大念佛暨三時繫念法會 - 亞特蘭大淨宗學會, 2800 Simpson Circle, Norcross GA 30071

[cid:564a40c7-ed88-4e62-9ca4-19dcb1e29d95]