Emory Buddhist Club - Welcome Party on Thursday!

Hsu, Emory emory.hsu at emory.edu
Tue Sep 1 06:08:19 PDT 2015

Emory Buddhist Club
 Thursday September 3, 6 pm, Cannon Chapel room 106

Welcome new students! This Thursday, we will host a kickoff party and introduce our club to everyone! You will have the opportunity to mingle with many Buddhist teachers in a casual setting and ask questions. Vegetarian refreshments provided!
Some of the monastics who are coming include:
 Ven. Thích Tâm Bi: raised in rural Kansas with little exposure to Buddhism, he is now a monk at Dharma Seal Abbey in Kansas City
Ven. Thích Đức Tâm Sunyadana: an American Buddhist monk and abbot of United Buddhist Church in Missouri
Ven. Nguyen Tue: a Vietnamese nun at Boulder Park Meditation Center in Atlanta

Everyone is welcome 9/3 @ 6pm in Cannon Chapel basement!
Also, we have a Facebook page! Like us: EmoryBuddhistClub<http://facebook.com/emorybuddhistclub>

[cid:7a50fd86-9eb9-4ea6-b72e-ab9c6be27bab]

Selected other events, contact us if you need a ride or more details!
*  Sep 6 at 4pm: Venerable Sunyananda, an American monk ordained in Korean and Vietnamese Zen traditions, will give a talk in English at Grand Ballroom in Norcross

*  Sep 8 at 6pm: Emory University Tzu Ching (the student chapter of Tzu Chi Buddhist Foundation USA) welcome meeting in White Hall 102

*  Sep 10 at 6:30pm and following Thursdays: Fall semester meditation and fundamentals of Buddhism class begins at Dharma Jewel Monastery

*  Sep 11 at 7pm, Movie Showing: Peaceable Kingdom at Atlanta Soto Zen Center -- free!

*  Sep 18 - 20, Vipassana Meditation Retreat with Bhante KhippaPanno at Kim Cang Monastery

*  Sep 17 at 7:30pm, Cannon Chapel 106, Chinese Buddhism introductory meeting
"Finding Faith Today" Survey - a request from Boston University www.bu.edu/cpt/fft :
Bryan Stone, a professor, researcher, and Associate Dean for Academic Affairs at Boston University School of Theology is leading an important national research project called “Finding Faith Today.” This is research on how people come to faith as adults in the United States. Surprisingly little research has been done on this topic. Our project has a comparative interfaith component that includes those who have become adherents of all major religious traditions in the U.S.

He is seeking survey responses from adults (aged 18 and over) who have either "converted" to Buddhism or “returned” to Buddhist faith and practice from an earlier commitment in their lives. Perhaps your story is more like an adult activation of the faith into which you were born. As you know, there are many ways people describe this journey or experience that we are here calling "finding faith.” The online link to that survey is www.bu.edu/cpt/fft If you fall into that category, perhaps you might take a few moments to complete the Finding Faith Today survey. All responses will be kept completely anonymous and confidential. The online survey can also be taken in multiple languages, as persons directed to it will easily discover. While our priority is to survey recent converts or returnees, we would benefit from anyone who is willing to share their journey to Buddhist faith and practice. We trust that what we are learning about how people come to faith in our time will be helpful to religious leaders and scholars throughout the nation. If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let me know. The success of the project depends very much on local assistance, as you can see. Without that assistance, we have no way of accessing the primary subjects of the study – those who have found or returned to faith.