Emory Buddhist Club - Off-Campus this week, and your generous donation can help!

Hsu, Emory emory.hsu at emory.edu
Mon Dec 26 01:10:59 EST 2016

Happy Holidays! We are not meeting on campus this week. Instead, please find some events below if you are around -- if you need a ride let us know! For everyone else, safe travels and warm wishes wherever you are!

Tuesday 12/27: Medicine Buddha Practice at 6:30pm, and a Public Buddhist Teaching with Geshe Dadul Namgyal, "Cultivating Deference to Fellow Sentient Beings", at 7:30pm at our academic affiliate, Drepung Loseling Monastery

Saturday & Sunday 12/31 & 1/1 at 9:30am: Compassionate Water Repentance Ceremony at Dharma Jewel Monastery -- bilingual Chinese/English translation. Vegetarian lunch provided. All are welcome! (See flyer below) 法寶寺即將在 12月31日 (星期六) 上午 和 1月1日 (星期日) 全天 舉辦慈悲三昧水懺法會。誠摯邀請大眾與親朋好友一同出席。

Finally, we encourage you to practice generosity as the year comes to a close -- whether it is a gift of kindness, encouragement, time, money, or even blood/organs, please share the holiday spirit and help all those around us. If you don't already have some reputable charities to donate to, you can find a letter below from Buddhist Global Relief, www.buddhistglobalrelief.org<http://www.buddhistglobalrelief.org>

[cid:73b1d882-bcd5-4c98-8e3b-b21fb6dcf1b3]

Dear Friends,

The holiday season is not just an occasion to exchange gifts with family and friends but an opportunity to express love in action. Love is expressed in action by helping people who daily face the pangs of suffering – the pangs of poverty, war, neglect, and malnutrition – by enabling them to live healthy lives of meaning and purpose.

Buddhist Global Relief was founded precisely to help such people prevail over these challenges: to obtain urgently needed food, to receive a decent education, to learn effect means of earning a living. The recipients of our aid, we have found, are people of grace, dignity, and inner beauty. What they need to realize their potentials is just a helping hand, a gesture of human solidarity.

It is the generosity of our supporters that enables us to extend this helping hand. And make no mistake about this: Your donations do make a critical difference. For those living at the edge, these donations are not so much gifts as lifesavers. Thus our partnership with Lotus Outreach has helped a fatherless girl raised in a hut in Cambodia to finish high school, go on to college, and become an engineer. Our partnership with the What If? Foundation in Haiti has provided meals to thousands of hungry children and is now equipping a new school that will offer these children an education. A partnership in Cote d’Ivoire with Helen Keller International, fully funded by BGR, will reduce childhood mortality by promoting optimal nutrition among pregnant women, nursing mothers, and infants.

Your holiday gift will enable us to continue providing these grants in 2017 and to develop new partnerships and projects in the future. Your contributions are literally saving and transforming lives. They are sending girls to school Cambodia, Vietnam, Bangladesh, and India. They are providing children in Cameroon, Haiti, and Bangladesh with a substantial mid-day meal. They are helping women in Sri Lanka and India acquire vocational skills. They are teaching farmers in Southeast Asia, Haiti, and Africa – largely women – methods of ecologically sustainable agriculture.

In just eight years, Buddhist Global Relief has become a magnificent Buddhist presence on the stage of global philanthropy, and it is your generosity that has made this possible. We are deeply grateful to you for your past support and now, as the year draws to a close, we ask you to continue to support our programs. Please bring forth a heart of great love and compassion and, in the spirit of the season, offer us a generous gift, whether large or small, that best accords with your means.

Through your gifts, you become an essential part of our team. Let us work together to promote the well-being and happiness of our unseen brothers and sisters all around the world.

Let me close by wishing you and your family an abundant rainfall of blessings in the coming year and for a long time to come,

With sincere thanks,

Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi

Chair, BGR