Emory Buddhist Club - Socially Engaged Buddhism - Spring semester!

Doyle, Tara tndoyle at emory.edu
Thu Jan 18 22:11:14 EST 2018

Dear Friends - I hope that you've enjoyed the last two snow-days in Atlanta!  I'm writing to let you know about a course I'm teaching this semester that I think this community might be interested in, since it revolves around some of the most inspiring Buddhist teachers and movements of our time (Thich Nhat Hanh, HH the Dalai Lama, Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar, Joan Halifax, angel Kyodo williams, and others).  Please find a brief description below.  If you have questions, or would like to see the syllabus, please don't hesitate to contact me!  In peace, Tara Doyle

Socially Engaged Buddhism (REL 310R-1), TTH, 4-5:15, Prof. Tara Doyle

This seminar will investigate what is commonly referred to as Socially Engaged Buddhism by focusing on modern “Buddhist-inflected” activist movements in both Asia and North America.  In particular, we will study contemporary Buddhist individuals and organizations involved in: freedom struggles; peace and reconciliation work; training hospice and prison volunteers; undoing racism; alleviating injustice; and teaching meditation in non-Buddhist, ‘secular’ settings.

The class will include a field trip on April 7th to the Atlanta Dojo, a socially engaged Buddhist temple in Atlanta; participation in Tibet Week events; and a group project doing ethnographic research and then presenting on a local Engaged Buddhist group or project.

Dr. Tara Doyle
Religion Department
Callaway Memorial Center S204
537 Kilgo Circle